Brochure Type: AWS Europe and Britain 23 24
The enduring buzz of Cairo's bustling city streets and imposing Great Pyramids of Giza launch your discovery of Ancient Egypt. Cruise down the Nile to Kom-Ombo, past Luxor, and explore the Valley of the Kings.
- Explore Luxor and Cairo with a Local Specialist
- Visit the temples of Karnak, Luxor Museum, the temple dedicated to Goddess Hathor at Dendera, Luxor Temple, the Temple of Isis on the island of Philae, the Temple at Kom-Ombo, Queen Hatshepsut's Temple and the Colossi of Memnon in Luxor, the Valley of the Kings and the Egyptian Museum in Cairo
- View the Step Pyramid in Sakkara, the Great Pyramids and Sphinx at Giza, the High Dam and the Unfinished Obelisk in Aswan, the Botanical Gardens on Kitchener's Island, the Citadel, Alabaster and Sultan Hassan Mosques in Cairo
- See the Ramses II statue and Alabaster Sphinx in Memphis, the Sound and Light show in Giza
- Sail in a felucca across the Nile
- Connect With Locals Enjoy an exclusive Be My Guest encounter on the banks of the Nile where your hosts, the El Boerey family, will share their stories about family life in a typical Luxor village. Savour a local culinary tradition of warm mint tea and freshly baked local bread with honey.
- Dive Into Culture Enjoy a visit to Cairo's Egyptian Museum, home to a remarkable collection of Egyptian antiquities including the world-famous 'Mask of Tutankhamun'.
- 1 Be My Guest
- 11 Breakfasts
- 7 Dinners
- 7 Lunches
- The services of a professional English speaking Egyptologist / Travel Director throughout your journey
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Return flight from Cairo to Luxor
- Seven-night luxury Nile Cruise
- Flight from Luxor to Cairo
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (207) 623-4591 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627123
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 12 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Cairo||Welcome to Cairo: Delve into the antiquities of Egypt on this epic journey which begins in the effervescent Egyptian capital. As you transfer to your hotel for a day at leisure, you'll feel the intoxicating buzz of this lively city - the perfect introduction to an unforgettable opportunity to learn about Egypt's ancient past and exciting present. You may choose to relax after your trip, or experience the energy of Cairo for yourself at the Khan El-Khalili souk where the sounds and smells are almost overwhelming.|
|Day 2||Admire the Wonders of Giza||Admire the Wonders of Giza: Immerse yourself in a history that spans millennia during a full-day excursion to the old kingdom of Egypt. See the Colossus of Ramses II and the Alabaster Sphinx at Memphis. Visit the Step Pyramid at Saqqara, then marvel at the Great Pyramid of Giza and the mighty Sphinx.|
|Day 3||Fly to Luxor and Embark on Your Nile Cruise||Fly to Luxor and Embark on Your Nile Cruise: We fly to Luxor this morning and embark on a guided tour of the Karnak Temple Complex, before boarding our cruise in time for lunch. Later this afternoon, marvel at Luxor's Temple and visit Luxor Museum to see an astounding collection of archaeological treasures, including items from Tutankhamun's tomb.|
|Day 4||Explore Ancient Dendera||Explore Ancient Dendera: Pay tribute to the Goddess Hathor at Dendera Temple, a soaring structure built around 330 BC. Beautifully preserved and elaborate in its design, every inch of this impressive sand-coloured structure is mesmerising and you'll see many of its halls, shrines and unique features such as the sun dial and replica Dendera zodiac, tracing the images of Taurus and Libra. You'll learn about Dendera's role as one of the major capitals of ancient Upper Egypt before returning to Luxor for the night.|
|Day 5||Aswan||Journey to Aswan: Today, we travel to Aswan, which for centuries held the important strategic role of being Egypt's southern frontier and gateway to the rest of Africa. Today it is a tranquil, modern city, most known for its High Dam, Nubian villages and Philae Temple, built to honour Egyptian goddess Isis. We arrive just in time for dinner, watching the buzz of the city from the comfort of our boat as day turns to dusk and another wonderful day sailing along the Nile comes to a close.|
|Day 6||The High Dam and More in Aswan||The High Dam and More in Aswan: On your sightseeing visit to Aswan, you'll see first-hand how the ancient Egyptians could not have chosen a more stunning place to honour the goddess of love and you'll learn how the Temple of Isis on Philae Island was very nearly lost underwater when the Aswan Dam was built in the 1960s. Beyond the incredible beauty and tranquillity of this structure, you'll hear how Isis earned the title 'Mother of God' before your visit to the Unfinished Obelisk, which lies semi-carved from the solid bedrock and remains as a testament to Aswan's heritage as the centre for stone quarries in ancient Egypt. Our final stop today is a visit to the High Dam, the world's largest embankment dam which took 11 years to build and ended the cycle of flood and drought along the Nile River.|
|Day 7||Philae and Kitchener's Island||Onwards to Philae and Kitchener's Island: Your travels today could see you join a once in a lifetime Optional Experience to Abu Simbel, carved into a solid rock cliff in Egypt's Nubian Valley. As you approach the imposing Great Temple, you'll marvel at the four-seated colossi on either side of the entrance and the elaborate engravings carved out of the stone depicting great victories and paying homage to the gods. Later, you'll set sail in a traditional felucca around the Botanical Gardens on Kitchener's Island, given to Lord Horacio Kitchener who transformed the island into a haven for rare exotic birds and unusual plants.|
|Day 8||Kom-Ombo||Off to Ancient Kom-Ombo: We visit the roofless Temple of Kom-Ombo, a highlight on our trip along the Nile, where we'll learn how the temple was built to honour two gods - Horus the Elder and Sobek. The Temple has a perfectly symmetrical design, the two sides a mirror of each other with one side dedicated to the crocodile god, the other to the falcon god. You'll learn all about the mythical link the two gods shared and why the Nile crocodile, which gathered in great numbers at this bend in the Nile, were of such importance to the ancient Egyptian priests.|
|Day 9||Sail to Stunning Luxor||Sail to Stunning Luxor: Watch how the river gives life to an arid landscape and the people who live within it as you sail down the Nile to Luxor, once an ancient Egyptian capital and today one of the world's most epic open-air museums. Every moment spent exploring the Valley of the Kings will leave you enthralled as you trace its many treasures, from the tomb of Tutankhamun to the temple complexes of Karnak and Luxor. You'll feel that same thrill the Egyptologists who first discovered what lay beyond these walls must have felt as they explored these incredible ancient sites.|
|Day 10||Cairo||Disembark and Fly to Cairo: We disembark at Luxor, Connect With Locals as you enjoy a traditional Be My Guest experience with freshly baked bread, honey and mint tea. Explore the fascinating complex of mortuary temples and tombs, including Queen Hatshepsut's Temple, the Colossi of Memnon and the Valley of the Kings. We take a return flight to Cairo where we'll enjoy an evening at leisure to soak up the buzzing atmosphere for which the city is famous. This evening consider an evening meal on board a floating restaurant with some lively Egyptian entertainment.|
|Day 11||Cairo||Discover Colourful Cairo: The buzz of Cairo is undeniable, and you'll get to feel it first-hand as you embark on an unforgettable sightseeing tour through the effervescent Egyptian capital. History buffs will love the visits to the Hanging Church of St. Mary and the Sultan Hassan Mosque in Old Cairo, built 700 years ago as a spiritual hub for the region. You'll also see the Alabaster Mosque and Citadel of Cairo, a medieval Islamic-era fortification which served as the seat of the Egyptian government for almost seven centuries. Later, you'll head to the celebrated Egyptian Museum, where you'll Dive Into Culture and discover the museum's unbelievable array of artefacts, from mummies and sarcophagi to jewellery and King Tutankhamun's treasures. This evening, take your seats at the dazzling sound and light show at the Great Pyramids.|
|Day 12||Cairo||Farewell Cairo: Our expedition at its end, say a fond farewell to your newfound friends. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
- Please note: Cruise itineraries on the Nile may vary occasionally according to seasonal circumstances. Visits to sights and highlights will not be affected.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class